Sunday, April 23, 2017

At your best or in your mess?

“Real love does not meet you at your best. It meets you in your mess.” (J.S. Park). I am a firm believer that love does not meet you at your best and that it meets you in your mess. In my own personal experiences, love has only met me during the middle of a mess in my life. It has met me when I was not even looking for a relationship because I was trying to focus on the messes in my life.


During my first semester in college, my goal was to try to focus on the transition from high school to college, obtain amazing grades, and to figure out what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. While I was in the middle of multiple messes in my life and let my guard down, all of a sudden he came along in my life. I remember the first day I met him like it was just yesterday. I was literally a mess and when we talked for the first time, it felt as if time slowed down and he was going to help me through my messes.

In the novel, Feed, by M.T. Anderson, Violet starts to fall for Titus when they are both hospitalized when their feeds get hacked while they are on the moon. Violet’s feed was damaged and the damage may have been life threatening. Also, Violet had gotten her feed later in life and her brain was not dependent on the feed when she was little.


On pages 269- 270, Violet explains to Titus that she went to the moon that night to have fun. When the hacker hacked their feeds she felt like she was being punished because she is never able to have fun like normal people. She believed when Titus came into her life that she was going to have a boyfriend and she finally did not have to live alone anymore.

Violet was in the middle of a mess with receiving tragic news that her life was endangered because her feed was damaged. “And the whole time I was thinking, Now I’m living. I have someone to live with me. I’m not alone. I’m living. (Anderson 270).  She explains to Titus that when she received the news about her feed, he was there to live right by her side. Violet did not have to go through things alone anymore since someone had come into her life to help her live with her messes. Titus was there in the beginning of her messes. Unfortunately, he made Violet go through her messes by herself and when her life was ending he regretted leaving her alone.

Maybe certain people walk into our lives to help us get through certain problems. I think love meets us at our mess to maybe make things seem okay when everything else feels like it is falling apart. Even though they may not always stay at our side, maybe they were only there to help us get through certain situations in our lives. Another mess will happen and then love meets us again. I have been living this continuous cycle since my freshman year of high school and I think certain people come into our lives for certain messes to help ease the pain and fix problems. Do you believe that love meets you at your best or in your mess?

Briana L.

562 words
Works Cited:
Feed by M.T. Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment